Your wedding cake is one of the most important parts of your celebration. Not only is it used as a huge centrepiece but it’s also part of the cake cutting ceremony. Be sure that you are clear on all of the details of the cake contract by asking these important questions. All of the answers to your questions should be covered in your contract – including any changes.
• Look at photos of other wedding cakes that were created by the baker. You should be happy with the many samples that you see. Ask if there is more than one cake decorator and request samples from that specific worker.
• Show a photo of a cake you like and ask if the baker will be able to duplicate it. If they are not sure, take your business elsewhere.
• Ask how long he has been baking wedding cakes. Ideally you’ll like an experienced baker with plenty of successful wedding cakes under his or her belt.
• Check availability for the wedding date. If they are booked up, don’t force the issue. You don’t want to be squeezed in on your big day.
• Find out how soon in advance the wedding cake is baked. Are the cakes used fresh or were they previously frozen? Fresh cakes are always better than frozen but you don’t want to serve stale cake to your guests.
• Find out about ingredients used in making the cakes. Do they use real butter (not shortening) and fresh fruits in fruit fillings. Ask about the use of organic ingredients.
• Delivery charges? What time will the cake be delivered – is there a two-hour window for delivery? You want the cake set up before guests arrive.
• Ask if they have worked with your wedding planner, catering manager or venue before.
• Is a deposit needed and if so, how much? When is the remainder due? Most bakeries require a deposit with the final payment due on the date of delivery.
• How is pricing established – by the slice or are certain types of designs more expensive?
Read the contract thoroughly. It should include the date, time, and location of the wedding. It should also contain a description of the cake along with a sketch or photo that includes both the interior and exterior of the cake. Make sure the number of people the cake will feed is included. The contract should include the cost along with any additional fees clearly stated. Under what circumstances may you receive a refund? A good contract will ensure a good result.